Sister Genevieve was born Patricia McCrea in Oakham, Rutland, England in 1928. The daughter of Jane and John McCrea, she was one of a family of eight. She attended the Manton Church of England School for her primary education and in 1939 moved with her family to Dublin, Ireland. Patricia completed secondary school with the Dominican Sisters in Cabra, Dublin and trained as a dress designer and cutter. She worked for five years before joining MMM in 1952.
After profession in 1955 Sister Genevieve worked first in the Lourdes Laundry in Drogheda. This was a busy establishment that provided laundry services for half of Counties Louth and Meath and beyond. Her next assignment was to the sewing room, where she used her dress designing skills to make the habits for the many Sisters at that time. She worked in the hospital cafeteria and helped at the reception and switchboard, with guests in the convent, and with the Dublin Sale of Work. In 1959 she was assigned to the Apostolic nunciature in Dublin and served there for three years.
Sr. Genevieve returned to Drogheda in 1964. She again worked at the hospital reception and switchboard. She then worked in the sewing room for ten years. She was also a phlebotomist in the hospital.
From 1976 to 1984, Genevieve was a driver for the MMM Motherhouse. Her excellent driving skills were well used, whether she was bringing our founding member Sr. Magdalen O’Rourke to her many contacts in Dublin, ferrying supplies to sales of work, or taking groups of Sisters to our holiday home in Killybegs, Co. Donegal. She was also responsible for maintenance of the house cars.
Except for a short time helping with fundraising at Rosemount in Dublin, she continued as a driver for the Motherhouse until 2000. She helped with general duties until ill health necessitated her moving to the nursing facility, Áras Mhuire in April 2017. She died there peacefully on 14 December 2018.
Genevieve did not enjoy good health so she was not assigned overseas, but she did not allow this to interfere with her own missionary work. Most people were unaware of her frailty. She was attracted to different strands of spirituality and loved the Dominicans. She was an active member of the Dominican parish in Drogheda, as a frequent Eucharist minister and a reader at Mass. Benedictine spirituality also gave her strength and she made many retreats in Glenstal Abbey.
Fr. John McAlinden was the main celebrant at her funeral Mass. He was assisted by Fr. Pat Kelly, SPS, chaplain of Áras Mhuire, and Fr. Donal Sweeney, OP, who travelled from Galway to be present. Family members, including her many nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews, joined MMMs and friends in celebrating her life of dedication.