Sr. Teresita, baptised Caroline Mary, was born in Beauparc, Co. Meath, in March 1926. She was educated locally and reached university entrance level before joining MMM in 1947.
After her initial religious formation, she worked in the Our Lady of Lourdes Maternity Hospital for a year before starting her studies in Dublin at the National University for a B.Sc. She trained as a biochemist and laboratory technician in both Holles Street Hospital, Dublin, and in Drogheda.
Soon after completing her studies, Sr. Teresita was assigned to Nigeria. She went to Nigeria in 1959 and only left finally in 1996. During these years in Nigeria, she worked in several hospitals, Anua, Urua Akpan, Afikpo and Ondo. When needed, especially in the stressful years following the Civil War, she combined the role of biochemist in the laboratory and in the pharmacy as well.
Sr. Teresita was a good community member. She was sharp, intelligent and could hold her own in a debate. She had a kindness which expressed itself quietly. One Sister remembers her visiting the hospital wards at night, in case there was anyone who was hungry. She would feed them.
In 1996, Sr. Teresita returned to Ireland and went to live in the MMM community in Crumlin, Dublin. She was involved in visiting the elderly and sick in the parish and was also involved in some pro-life work. In 2013 she moved to the Motherhouse in Drogheda and became an active member of the community. She helped out in the Sacristy and the Stamp Department. She also visited the more elderly in Aras Mhuire. She loved bridge, a game she learnt during her time in Nigeria and was a good player.
As her health began to fail, her care needs increased. In December 2021 she became a resident in Moorehall Lodge Nursing Home on a temporary basis, and returned to Aras Mhuire in early April 2022. Unfortunately, her health began to fail and she was called home to God in the early hours of April 22nd. She is buried in St. Peter’s Cemetery.