Staines, Sr. M. Lucy

Staines, Sr. M. Lucy

Nationality:   Irish
Congregational Register No. 144
D.O.B. 25.06.1926
First Profession 16.03.1948
Died 15.01.2009  Aged: 82 years

Joan Marie Staines was born into a family of note within the new Irish State.  Her father, Michael Staines, a member of the Gaelic League and Sinn Fein, was part of the GPO Garrison in Dublin in 1916, a member of the first Dail of 1919, and was appointed by the Provisional Government as the first garda commissioner in 1922.

Joan was educated at St. Mary’s Dominican Convent in Cabra and the Holy Faith Convent in Clontarf before obtaining her commercial certificate from Regan’s Commercial School.  She worked in the Civil Service before entering MMM in 1945 and taking the name Sr. M. Lucy.

Sr. Lucy’s secretarial, administrative and public relations skills were recognised early. Mother Mary took her as a secretary while Lucy was still in the early days of her novitiate.  Sr. Lucy was to continue as a secretary to Mother Mary until 1963, when she was assigned to Nigeria.

Sr. Lucy worked in Lagos as secretary in the Apostolic Delegation until 1965, when she returned to Ireland to work as secretary to Mother Mary once again, and as assistant to the bursar general. Sr. Lucy studied at University College Dublin, obtaining a BA in Economics and Political Science and a Masters in Business Administration.  She also obtained a diploma in Italian and a higher diploma in hospital administration.  From 1974 to 1986 she was the hospital secretary and manager at the IMTH. She was then appointed editor in the MMM Communications Department.  As well as editing skills, Sr. Lucy had a gift for photography, which served her well in her new position.  Her final overseas assignment was to Arusha in Tanzania in 1995.  Unfortunately, Sr. Lucy was not in good health during this assignment and she eventually had to return to Drogheda.

Lucy had a wide variety of interests. She was a great swimmer and loved photography and going to the National Concert Hall and the theatre. She wrote lively letters about everything she saw and experienced.  She  was devoted to the memory of Mother Mary and the precious times that she had with her.

In 2004 Lucy transferred to Áras Mhuire because of her deteriorating health.  She continued to work on her computer and took an interest in world affairs. She had a loving, close-knit, devoted family. They visited frequently and took her out on visits and social occasions. She stayed bright and alert to the end, but wanted to go home to God. She died peacefully, moments after telling her carer that she had been thinking about God.