Congregational Register No: 128
First Profession: 08.09.1947
Died: 07.01.2000 Aged: 82 years
Born in Glenkeel, Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim and baptised Mary, Sr. Aidan came to MMM on 8 December 1944.
She was a trained general and fever nurse when she entered MMM and was called upon as early as 1946 to become the first tutor of the student Sisters. Medical staff had the highest regard for her competence both as a nurse and teacher. Over the years many sisters expressed their appreciation of her as a guide, counsellor and friend. A very professional, competent and efficient nurse, she won the respect of everyone.
Sr. Aidan was approachable and kind to all, but was shy and kept her own counsel. She shared little about either her background or her inner feelings, but it was evident that she was a fount of knowledge on Christian doctrine. She was a reserved person, but she was always there when help was needed.
In 1952 she was assigned to the Clinica Mediterranea in Naples, but became ill after a short time and returned to Ireland. Following her recovery, she worked in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, until she was assigned back to Naples in 1963 as assistant matron. In 1964 she was appointed assistant matron at the Clinica Moscati in Rome. She worked there until 1966, when MMM withdrew from the Clinica.
In 1966 she returned to Ireland where her administrative gifts were well utilised in Clonmel and Drogheda.
Because of deteriorating health, her latter years were spent in Áras Mhuire, Drogheda, where she displayed great courage and patience. She died there and is buried in Drogheda.